Call for Apps
Mobile and wearable technologies are undergoing massive growth and the Internet-of-Things (IoT) is expected to drive network traffic to unprecedented levels. The challenge of interacting with automated (and connected) vehicles is also creating opportunities for the further development of mobile and wearable technologies.
IEEE VNC 2018 is seeking to encourage innovation in vehicular networking and communication systems by organizing its second edition of mobile app contest, to be run in conjunction with the IEEE VNC main conference. The contest aims at novel mobile applications associated with autonomous vehicles, electric vehicles, transport vehicles, and even two-wheeled vehicles. This is a platform-neutral contest. Applications may be developed for, but are not limited to, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc.
Topics of Interest
Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):
- Safe driving
- Vehicle-to-Vehicle communication
- Traffic congestion
- Vehicular resource sharing
- Human-Vehicle Interaction
- Game-based app
- Better driving experience
- Alternative small vehicles
- First prize:
- USD 3,000
- Second prize:
- USD 2,000
- Third prize:
- USD 1,000
- Best presentation prize:
- USD 500
The VNC App Contest is open to the following:
- Individuals who have reached the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry.
- Teams of eligible individuals.
- Teams of eligible individuals entering on behalf of organizations (including corporations, not-for-profit corporations, and other nonprofit organizations, corporations or organizations not potentially affiliated with our sponsors, limited liability companies, partnerships, and other legal entities) that have been organized or incorporated at the time of entry.
- Individual members of teams or organizations may join more than one team and are eligible to enter on an individual basis as well.
Any team or organization entering the App Contest must appoint one individual (the “Representative”) to enter a submission and to act on their behalf. The Representative must meet the eligibility requirements outlined above. Upon entering a Submission on the Site on behalf of a team or organization, you are deemed the Representative, authorized to act on behalf of your team or organization.
All participants in the VNC App Contest must adhere to the following:
- Register for the contest by August 24, 2018 through the VNC online submission system (EDAS) (To be announced). To complete registration, developers must provide a list of team members and a brief description of the App.
- To be considered as a finalist, developers must submit the following materials by October 12, 2018:
- Two-page paper
- The proposal must be in PDF format, no longer than two pages in IEEE conference paper format (see the submission guidelines page on the VNC 2018 website). The paper must provide the name of the App and detailed description (i.e., the goal, features, functionality, applied techniques, and/or future enhancement), innovation and/or uniqueness in the market, as well as a list of similar or related apps in the market when applicable. The paper must also provide the name and contact information of the author(s).
- Supplementary materials (Please pack the code and video into a ZIP file and upload the ZIP file as supplementary materials through the VNC online submission system.)
- Android Apps: You must upload an .apk file.
- iOS Apps: You must upload a test build.
- Others: For other platforms, please upload the executable binary or source codes in a single compressed file.
- Less than 5 minutes in length.
- Footage must include a comprehensive demonstration clearly outlining the features and functionality of the App.
- Finalists will be announced on October 26, 2018. All finalists must attend VNC '18 and provide a 15-minute demonstration of the App to be considered for the final awards.
The following requirements must be followed in the development of all Apps:
- All submission materials must be in English.
- Functionality: The App must be ready to install and operate on the platform for which it is intended. The App must function as depicted in the video.
- Platforms: Submitted Apps must be implemented on at least one of Android or iOS mobile devices, including phones, tablets, and/or watches, which are suitable for demonstration. All necessary servers or sensors must also be available, as developers will be expected to demonstrate the entire App system if selected as a finalist.
- Originality: The App must be newly created by the developer. Apps that have been previously published or posted on Google Play or Apple Store (or any similar app distribution sites) are ineligible. The App may not be submitted simultaneously to another contest.
- Copyright issues: All materials used in the app, including drawings, images, sounds, and computer code, must be original. It is the responsibility of the individual making the submission to secure necessary permissions and/or licenses for the use of any auxiliary materials that include the work of third-party individuals or organizations (including copyrighted music or movie excerpts).
- Creativity and Innovation: Inventive new ideas for the transportation sector; creativity and design that makes an impact.
- Potential Value: Potential to assist individuals, organizations, or communities to make informed decisions.
- Technical Depth: Technical expertise in wireless communication, data analytics, machine learning, visualization, etc.
- Completeness: Authors should not overstate the capability of their apps. All submissions must be a complete implementation according to the specifications described in the video demonstration and documentation.
- User Interface and User Experience: Ease of use, aesthetic appeal, suitable for the targeted vehicle usage scenarios.