The 10th IEEE Vehicular Networking Conference (VNC 2018) is pleased to announce travel grants for US students to attend the conference and its co-located events to be held in Taipei, Taiwan, December 5-7 2018. Funds for these travel grants are provided by NSF.
Travel Grant Application
Grants are available only for full-time students attending colleges and universities within the US. Women, undergraduates and underrepresented minority students are particularly encouraged to apply.
To apply for a travel grant, the student applicant should send the following material:
- The student's CV including the institution and location.
- Specify if the institution is a minority serving institution.
- IEEE student member, and any associated societies numbers, if you have any.
- An application letter which should include:
- The title of the accepted VNC work (conference/workshop paper, poster or demo, finalist mobile app contest entry) - if the student is an author
- Whether the student is a first-time attendee to VNC
- If the student is not a first-time attendee to VNC, whether the student has received any travel grant in the past to attend VNC
- A brief summary of the student research interests and accomplishments to date
- A description of areas reflected in the VNC program that would impact the student's research
- A statement about why the conference attendance is important to the student
- An estimate of the following costs of attending VNC 2018: airfare, hotel, and conference registration. It is anticipated that travel grants will partially cover these attendance costs - up to $1400 maximum.
A recommendation letter from the advisor of the student applicant is also required. The letter should provide the following:
- A confirmation that the student is a bona fide Ph.D. candidate or a M.S./B.S. student in good academic standing at the given institution.
- The impact of the VNC program material on the student’s research progress.
- Other benefits the student would derive from attending the conference.
- A description of the student applicant's strengths and potential contributions to the vehicular networking, systems and applications field.
- A statement of financial commitment to pay the remainder of the student applicant’s travel cost not covered by the grant.
The advisor's letter should be sent to directly to the travel grant committee by uploading in EDAS
. A link will be sent to the advisor/mentor upon submitting the application.
Selection will be based on student merit qualifications (e.g., paper authorship) and financial need (e.g., travel distance/cost from home campus, availability of grant funds, etc). Priority will be given to women, undergraduates, underrepresented minorities, and first-time attendees.
- Travel Grant Application Submission Deadline:
- October 22, 2018 (23:59 EST)
- Travel Grant Award Notification:
- October 25, 2018
- Deadline to Accept/Decline Travel Grant Award:
- October 27, 2018 (23:59 EST)
Grant Requirements and Restrictions
- The full application package (by the student and the advisor) should be received on or before 23:59 EST, Oct 22nd, 2018.
- By accepting the travel grants students are committing to submit as summary of the experiences and outcomes of attending the conference.
- Student travel grants are meant to partially cover the cost of attending and participating in VNC 2018. The only travel expenses that can be reimbursed are accommodation, advance conference registration, and airfare.
- For NSF Grants: These grants are available only for full-time students attending US colleges and universities (not necessarily US citizens or permanent residents).
- Recipients of NSF travel awards must use US flag carriers.
Application form must be submitted by the applicant in EDAS.
The recommendation letter from the advisor/mentor must be uploaded to EDAS. A link will be sent to the advisor/mentor upon submitting the application.
Questions regarding the travel grant must be directed to the student travel grant chairs:
Ashwin Ashok, Georgia State University, USA (email@example.com)
Hsu-Chun Hsiao, National Taiwan University, Taiwan (firstname.lastname@example.org)